Monday 23 June 2014

Travel: Graffiti Hunting part 2

Travel presents a great opportunity to emerge yourself in the culture of an area or areas. For me, this means seeing what is on offer in the local Graffiti scene.

Graffiti has always been an interest of mine, and I love having the opportunity to see what local artists are doing. I find the work of graffiti artists really engaging and inspiring, and I am positive that the images below will be memories that stay with me once I have returned from my travel.


This hand drawn and painted paste-up of DC comics character Harley Quinn was found on a shop-front window in Old Town in Tallinn. I'm not personally a huge fan of DC, but the workmanship that went into this piece is apparent, and it is very beautifully executed.

I was really shocked to see this huge mural on the side of a building in Rovaniemi in Lapland; mostly because it is just so huge and vibrant, and the rest of Rovaniemi is a little run down. Not really sure what this is of, but I like the textures used and the over-all colour scheme.

This photo will hold a particular place in my heart, as it was taken moments after we were on the Lumberjack's Candle Bridge in Rovaniemi to witness the Midnight Sun. There's just something about the perfect execution of the spary-painted lettering that does it for me.

I love the story of Doctor Frankenstein and his monster, and this stencilled paste-up is a great likeness of the well-loved Hollywood portrayl of the Monster. This was one of two Frankenstein pieces found in Oulu, Finland, and I love it because of how simple it is.

This little Soviet-inspired sticker was found on a lamp post in Oulu. I was drawn to it because of the strong jaw-line on the guy on the sticker, I'm not going to lie.

This is another spray-painted paste-up from Oulu. It's very simple, with just the one colour used, but I love the way that it looks and how boldly it stood out on the wall where it was placed.

This is a more detailed spay-painted paste-up, because it is using two colours. It's a little creepy, which is in part why I was drawn to it. We found this one when we arrived in Turku, Finland, on the Midsommar holiday. The city was all but deserted and we were joking about how like a scene from a Zombie film it was. Finding this guy was fitting.

Finally we have this beautifully executed portrait, which is either of the TV Morticia Adams or the wife from The Munsters. This is a stencilled sticker and it was found on a post-box in Turku, Finland. This one is really beautiful, and I was stoked to have seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment