Friday 24 January 2014

Daily Outfit: Corporate shorts?

The particular Department that I work for attracts a lot of people who are really into the great outdoors. Camping, kayaking, bush-walking and the likes are all popular extracurricular activities and discussed in tea-rooms and kitchenettes throughout our buildings.

What this means, however, is that a lot of people’s love for all things outdoors is reflected in how they dress for work.

There is a lot of Kathmandu polar fleece. A lot. Those weird Teeva sandals feature pretty frequently, as do Thinsulate and Gortex fabrics. However, I think that the most telling invasion of the Corporate work wear, is the presence of shorts.
It is not something I ever thought that I would condone myself, and I think that a large part of that is because most of the shorts you see are of the Gazman, high-waisted dad-short variety. It isn’t a great look, that’s for sure, and I find that generally speaking it really ages a person.

Regardless, I decided to try it out last Friday, using items from my own wardrobe. I wasn’t as horrified as I thought I was going to be. In fact, I find myself thinking that shorts as Corporate wear isn’t as taboo as awful as I previously believed.
I decided to give it another whirl today, with a slightly Preppy outfit:

Navy silk necktie with embroidered Gridiron players – vintage Lands’ End, etsy
Navy tailored cotton Shirt – Euromerican Tailors
Gold-tone tie bar – gift
Black leather belt – re-purposed from wedding ensemble
Patchwork Madras shorts – Polo Ralph Lauren
Black canvas espadrilles – ASOS

What do you think? Does it work? Do I look ridiculous? Too ‘Daggy Dad’? I have this vision that I’d love to actualise of a Seersucker suit but with shorts instead of slacks, and your feedback will advise me in this regard :)

1 comment:

  1. You're right about shorts being taboo in most offices, but with an office such as yours where people are very keen about the great outdoors, it looks like this could pass! I figured it'll be okay too in cases when the office is adjacent to the beach, or on Casual Fridays. Have you tried wearing shorts of one color? Perhaps that could work better than that one for the office.
    Joel McCall @ Corporate Shirts Direct

    ReplyDelete