Wednesday 29 August 2012

Daily Outfit: After Gianni

I have a turbulent love/hate relationship with the designs of Gianni Versace. I think it started when I was in early high school and I was only starting to appreciate fashion. I believed that Versace was pronounced ‘Ver-sah-chae’, and was subsequently humiliated when it was publically corrected. This theme was continued later in life when a Versace-obsessed ex-boyfriend of mine disappeared from my life, leaving me heartbroken and hateful. Versace became a symbol of my ex, and for years I vehemently loathed the house of Versace.

However, lately I have come to admit that I actually really admire Gianni’s sense of style and humour in his work. His sister Donatella has a much more serious sense of style, which is beautiful in its own right, and I personally feel that the company has matured with Donatella at the helm. However, I still love the cheeky and gaudy aesthetic which Gianni championed, and when I saw the necktie I am wearing today on Etsy, I had to snap it up.

For today’s Gianni Versace inspired outfit I am wearing:

Black leather and sheerling jacket – Barneys, NYC, from ASOS
Blue and white striped button-down shirt – Polo Ralph Lauren
Navy and gold rococo patterned silk necktie – Gianni Versace, Etsy
Black leather belt – Raphael Steffens
Lightly distressed bootcut jeans – Armani Exchange A|X, thrifted
Black distressed leather shoes – Raphael Steffens


I tried to tie as many Versace-inspired elements from my wardrobe into today’s outfit as I could. It’s a poor attempt when faced with Gianni’s back-catalogue, but I think I’ve managed to allude at least to his aesthetic. The buckle straps on the jacket, the OTT shoes, the boldly printed necktie against the subdued shirt, the leather and the denim in a corporate setting... What do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment