Wednesday 8 August 2012

Daily Outfit: Bow-Tied Up in Knots


I am mortified to admit that I do not know how to tie a Bow-Tie, and that all the Bow-Ties that I own are the cheat sort where they are already tied and all you have to do is hook them together. It's sartorially equivalent to admitting you walk around with a sock in your Y-fronts or tissues in your bra. I think that especially given my age (twenty-seven come December 30) - I should own and be able to tie a Bow-Tie by now.

This is something that I intend to rectify in adopting my 'Darker Shade of Prep' wardrobe aesthetic. I have found some really beautiful Bow-ties on Etsy and eBay, and tonne on stalwart Preppy institution's sites like J. Press and Vineyard Vines. So the owning element is soon to be vanquished. That just leaves the learning how to tie element. The cheater versions need to go, however: today's number strangled me unbearably - even if it did look cute :S


My outfit for today was:

navy wool Sweater – Share Broker, from Etsy
blue and white check Business Shirt – T.M. Lewin
black silk cheat’s Bow-Tie – Tie Rack
black leather Belt - JAG
black resin-coated straight-leg Jeans – G-Star Raw
black leather military Boots – Zu



I love the shirt I'm wearing today - it was my very first T.M. Lewin purchase. It is, sadly, far too small for me (hence the sweater to protect the eyes of the innocent); and I'm looking to replace it shortly. It is such a great shirt though - I can't bring myself to part with it. I bought it second hand and it still comes out of the wash looking brand new... I'll have to find a DIY project I can do with it. Or lose a tonne of weight. In any event, T.M. Lewin are opening a store here in Australia this year - I cannot wait!



Xx

2 comments:

  1. I am ashamed to admit that even though I studied costuming & have spent a decent amount of time in the theatre & like to know things like that I, too, cannot tie a proper bow tie. I like to think it will just come naturally to me if the need arises. Surely we would have more luck than anyone else in the room anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought so - and then I tried to tie one. DISASTER!

    I'm determined though! And I want to learn some fancier knots for necties as well. I use the most basic, school uniform knot that there is!

    Xx

    ReplyDelete