Tuesday 28 August 2012

Daily Outfit: Seersuckered In

Today’s ensemble is an exercise in persistence.

A year or two back I purchased a blue and white seersucker blazer from a Church Fete I was attending with my mother and grandmother. I saw it on the rack amidst hundreds of sad old faux tweeds, and fell in love instantly. My best friend Mags, not so much. Like several other items of my clothing (A skull-print singlet, a coral bomber jacket), she exhibited an instantaneous and almost violent dislike to the blazer. 

In hindsight I can’t blame her really. It was, I’m fairly certain, a women’s jacket, which fit me poorly, and which I styled horribly. There were also several items in her wardrobe which I was less than delicate about (my apologies, Mags).

More recently I replaced the original Jacket with a blazer from Etsy. I was adamant that I needed a blue and white seersucker blazer to complete my wardrobe. Mags inspected this new blazer and gave it a begrudged nod of approval, however, I never truly believed that she approved. As such, I have not worn this blazer since buying it.That is, until I decided to wear it today with the following:

Blue and white seersucker blazer – Meeting Street, Etsy
Orange wool vest – Etsy
Blue and white checked shirt – T.M. Lewin, Thrifted
Black resin and silver Medusa head cufflinks – Versace, ebay
Brown leather belt – Country Road
Lightly distressed ARC jeans – G-Star
Brown leather Shoes with crosshatch detail – Raphael Steffens

I was skeptical as I was getting dressed this morning that this ensemble would work. I was convinced that it wouldn't. However, when I was dressed and standing in front of the mirror, I suddenly felt that not only was the ensemble working, but that the blazer was in fact, somehow tying all the elements together. I’m giving the ensemble a 9/10. I’m not sure Mags would approve though.

No comments:

Post a Comment