Thursday 23 August 2012

Daily Outfit: Business Casual

Business Casual is a funny term. It is, according to the ever reliable Wikkipedia, the most common form of dress required by workplaces in America. It’s also highly open to interpretation. I’ve often thought that I slot easily into the Business Casual slot, because I wear jeans to work almost every day. However, I’ve been reading up on Business Casual in preparation for a thorough wardrobe overhaul, and I’m starting to feel somewhat of a square peg in a round hole.

It seems that affectations of a Business or Corportae wardrobe, such as neckties and blazers, are placed towards ‘Overdressed’ on the spectrum of Business Casual, and items like cufflinks, collar-stays and tie-tacks and bars are completely off the scale all together. It seems that I am something of an anomaly – a hybrid of Business and Casual, but closer on the spectrum of Business.
Today’s outfit is decidedly more Business Casual aligned, given the leather jacket. I am wearing:

Blue leather jacket with military collar – ZARA Man, Sydney
Orange and white check button-down shirt – Polo Ralph Lauren
Navy silk necktie with palm tree motif - thrifted
Gold-tone tie bar – gift
Navy and orange ribbon belt – Polo Ralph Lauren
Riley 3D tapered Jeans – G-Star
Blue leather boots with buckle detail – G-Star

I am developing a complex. I am starting to think of my wardrobe as the Mullet of clothing aesthetics. Business up top (almost always blazer and shirt with all the trimmings - cufflinks, necktie, tie bar), and party down below (jeans, jeans and more jeans.). I change it up every now and then, as I did with a sportier jacket; but at the end of the day I am living the sartorial equivalent of the world’s most iconically bad hairstyle!

1 comment:

  1. WTF is Wikipedia going on about, surely there is no such thing as 'overdressed' business casual? I can see that there are guidelines in place to stop people being UNDERdressed (Crocs! To work? For serious?! OH DEAR GOD. If you could see my face right now..it would only be improved if you told me they had those ridiculous extra bits that go into the croc-holes for decoration. PLEASE TELL ME SHE HAS THOSE), but I can't imagine any kind of world where middle management is like 'Excuse me Grant, we need to have a chat...it's about the tie bars. They have to go'. That would just be criminal.

    I LOVE that second last photo, perfect mod/rocker mash up. You mullet well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete