Tuesday 29 July 2014

Daily Outfit: Hi-Vis High Style?

“You’re looking very hi-vis today Grant.”

These words came from a senior member of staff at work who, frankly speaking, terrifies me. Not only is she an incredibly impressive individual, but she’s also remarkably well dressed, and occasionally assesses my daily outfits in a few words in passing so succinctly that I'm often left completely unaware if she approves or disapproves of whatever it is that I happen to be wearing. I can’t even deal with it.

For anyone who doesn't know, Hi-Vis refers to High Visibility work-wear, often in neon yellow or orange, and worn by tradies to contribute to on the job safety. And for this 'Hi-Vis' daily outfit I’m wearing:

Navy textured double-breasted blazer – labeless, thrifted
Neon orange polyester windcheater (sleeves removed) – H&M
Navy tailored button-down shirt – Euromerican tailors
Black leather belt – repurposed from wedding outfit
Riley jeans in raw denim – G-Star, ebay
Navy and orange striped cotton socks - Trenery
Black leather shoes with cut-out detail – Raphael Steffens

The thing is, I probably subconsciously put this jacket on this morning because I wanted to emulate the hi-vis workwear that I have seen Tradies wearing lately while I have been taking my lunchtime stroll around Lake Burly Griffin.

Navy seems to be to go-to colour for a lot of work-wear, and lately I have been noticing and coveting several pieces, and wondering if there would be a way to work them into my wardrobe or not. One item in particular has caught my eye: a navy and neon orange hoodie. I'm in the market for a new hoodie that is in navy, and this one always looks quite nice, even if it is covered in dirt and grime and emblazoned with the logo of the construction company.

It's something to ponder on anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment