Thursday 20 February 2014

Daily Outfit: Clashing colours beget clashing personalities


Clashing colours, patterns or textures is not something that I am a big supporter of generally. There is a reason that the word 'Clashing' is used instead of say, contrasting, or competing, or even different. A clash is something violent and jarring, something that is frightening and disruptive and not something that you generally should aspire to. I know that this flies in the face of many contemporary trendsetter's personal looks, but we're not all meant to look like Susie Bubble.

This morning, however, I decided that I really wanted to wear two different types of gingham in my outfit - namely an orange gingham shirt and a navy gingham jacket. I've worn this combination to work previously and it had generally garnered a few sideways glances, and so I was eager to try it out again and to see what sort of a reaction my clashing pattern and colours would garner.

I should have know better.


The clashing coloured items in today’s outfit were:

Navy and white gingham jacket – Larsen’s store for men, via etsy
Knitted orange polyester necktie – Uniqlo, Tokyo
Orange and white gingham shirt – Polo Ralph Lauren
Gold-tone tie-bar – gift
Black leather belt – repurposed from wedding ensemble
Navy whipcord slacks – Trenery
Orange and white striped socks – Uniqlo, Tokyo
Black leather shoes with cut-out detailing – Raphael Steffens



It was a day of clashes for me today. Call me superstitious if you will, but my day was fraught with clashing deadlines, clashing personalities, and clashing in the very literal sense that I got into an argument with a colleague. We didn't come to fisticuffs, but I think that if I had worn the full gingham suit, it could have been a near thing! So I am making a conscious decision, yes, based on superstition; that I will not clash colours or patterns for the foreseeable future.

I need my job too badly.


Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment