Thursday 13 February 2014

Daily Outfit: vintage Hardy Amies tie


This Hardy Amies tie was one of the very first accessories that I ever purchased second-hand. I bought it back in High School, during my senior years, when my pique at living in a small country town surrounded by homophobic rednecks had started to channel itself into dressing, well, in hindsight, rather like some sort of alternative news reader. It was not a good look, all mismatched slacks and shirts with polyester ties; but though I didn't know it at the time, this necktie was a sound investment.

Considering that I didn't even know who Hardy Amies was when I bought the tie, I think that I really lucked out with this purchase. It is polyester, but wasn't almost everything in the late 70s when this was likely made? The colour and shape have both held up really well, and I love the Western motif. I also love that the tie is so slim, and that it is so easy to wear short.


I included the necktie in today’s outfit for a bit of understated fun, and a bit of a clash with the shirt:

Navy polyester necktie with boot and saddle motif – Hard Amies, thrifted
Blue and orange checked shirt – Trenery
Gold-tone tie-bar – gift
Navy and orange ribbon belt – Polo Ralph Lauren
Riley 3D loose tapered jeans – G-Star
Orange thongs with navy straps – ‘Havaianas’ purchased in Koh Samui



I also got a haircut today, as you can tell by the more pronounced 'hard part' in the front of my head. This is where the part is accentuated by shaving a thin (or thick) strip along the naturally occuring part line on your head. As always my Hairdresser Elise did an amazing job, and if you are a Canberran in need of a new hairdresser, or even if you're just here visiting, I cannot recommend Elise, Jess and the rest of the team at Rhubarb & Me in Lyneham strongly enough.


Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment