Tuesday 25 February 2014

Daily Outfit: Too many patterns


"There is no quicker way to ruin your image than to clutter yourself with too many patterns. You automatically draw the eye away from your face and call attention to your clothes. If you are very clever you may come up with some good pattern combinations, but they will look better on the hanger than under your face."


Colour for men - Carole Jackson with Kalia Lulow - Little Hill Press, 1985.



I was thinking about these words from the sensational Colour for men today, as I was wearing:

Navy silk necktie with orange and white stripes – vintage Brooks Brothers
Goldtone tie bar – gift
White cotton shirt with blue floral print – Euromerican tailors, Hong Kong
Black leathe belt – repurposed from wedding ensemble
3D dimension tapered jeans – G-Star
Black leather military boots – Zu


My mother bought me the book Colour for men from our local library's discontinued bin for $1, when I started to show an actual interest in fashion in the twelfth grade. It has been a formative guide in how my personal style over the years, even when I have rebelled against the words on the pages. Today's ensemble would likely not have made the cut for Jackson and Lulow; but I actually liked the combination of the shirt and tie.


How about you, what do you think of the combination? 



Xx



No comments:

Post a Comment