Monday 17 February 2014

Daily Outfit: Life with a restricted wardrobe


About 12 months ago now I decided to place some serious restrictions on my personal wardrobe and style. This was a decision that I made for multiple reasons, from the fact that I spend five days a week in an office environment through to the fact that I’ve always admired the restraint of Bloggers like Alicia, Lucinda and Nadia; but have never had the wherewithal to commit to just one colour.

The restriction that has affected me the most by far is culling all but three colours from my wardrobe.
Living within three colours seems really simple at first, just as it seems really limiting, but in both instances I have to say that it is not. The colours that I chose were blue, orange, and white. However, when I first set myself this challenge, I said navy blue, Hermes orange and crisp white. THAT was limiting, trying to stick to three specific shades, and I gave up pretty quickly, allowing myself all shades within those three colours, within reason.


Take, for example, the colour restricted outfit that I wore today was:

Hand carved ox-bone skull beads – etsy, from Tibet
Blue shirt with white stripes – vintage Brooks Brothers
Brown leather belt – Sportscraft
Motor 3D tapered jeans – G-Star
Navy and white striped cotton socks – Uniqlo, Tokyo, Japan
Brown leather shoes with diamond pattern – Raphael Steffens



The beads walk a fine line between orange and white, while the shirt, jeans and socks are all shades of blue with white incorporated in some way. They're not all one exact shade though, or even similar shades in the same family really, and as such I cannot really claim to have limited my wardrobe to three colours. There's also obviously the shoes and belt, which while matched to one another, are both brown. I haven't begun to cull shoes and accessories yet, but I have stopped investing in any shoes or accessories that do not fit into my trio of colours in some way.

It's a work in progress, this limiting and restricting myself, but I really love it.


Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment