Tuesday 18 February 2014

Daily Outfit: Never Pay Retail


It amazes me sometimes just how little I actually buy first hand or full-price. I never pay retail. Well, at least not often.
The subject of paying retail was raised today by one of the EAs at work, who enquired how much money I actually spend on my clothes. And the thing is, I can say "Not much to that question", because I really don't anymore. In today’s outfit for example, the only item I paid full price for was the fitbit on my wrist (which, frankly, doesn’t count because it is a utility). That’s it. The tie was thrifted, the shirt and boots were purchased, incredibly marked down, from an outlet mall, and the jeans were bought second hand on eBay for less than a third of their original price. Even my socks and jocks were bought on sale!


And the thing is, I don't really look like I've been ratting about bargain bins or snavelling up people's hand-me-downs online, do I? I mean this outfit:

Navy polyester necktie with white pin dots – John & Lois, thrifted
Blue and white striped button-down shirt – Polo Ralph Lauren
Black leather belt – repurposed from wedding ensemble
Blade loose Jeans – G-Star via eBay
Blue leather boots – G-Star


And while it is financially beneficial and generally good practice to shop around and get the bargains of not paying retail; I actually have an ulterior motive for shopping around... 

I save up like crazy for designer pieces. Currently, I am saving up for the Alexander McQueen De Manta clutch in navy leather. It retails for $792. That is a lot of money for a fancy purse, even for someone on a decent wage like myself in a stable rental environment. My best friend Mags is a little disgusted by how much money I am willing to spend on some designer pieces. My Boyfriend I bemused I think (not that he has a leg to stand on given some of his own extravagant spending!). But to me, this is an investment piece, and well worth the shopping about for cheaper jeans and bulk discounts on sock and jocks. And its worth (almost) never paying retail.


Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment