Monday 10 February 2014

Daily Outfit: Work to dinner outfit change

I had to make a quick outfit change between work and dinner tonight, which got me thinking about just how versatile my wardrobe is or isn’t.

For example, the burnt-orange chinos I wore today. Statistically speaking, I think you would find that most people view chinos as a fairly casual garment. As I have mentioned before I have a sort of mullet aesthetic to dressing myself: business up top (shirt and tie) party below (jeans, chinos or shorts).
As such, I figured that the chinos would transfer rather seamlessly between the business settings of work, to the casual setting of dinner with friends, meaning that all I’d have to do is swap out my shirt and tie for a t-shirt.
The first incarnation of today’s outfit included:

Navy silk necktie with pheasant motif – Paul Stuart, thrifted
Navy cotton tailored dress shirt – Euromerican Tailors, Hong Kong
Gold-tone tie-bar with alligator leather – vintage, Etsy
Black leather belt – repurposed from wedding ensemble
Burnt-orange chinos – FUCK
Black canvas espadrilles – ASOS


The second incarnation of today’s outfit included:


Navy 50/50 T-shirt with Doberman print – Slickitup
Black leather belt – repurposed from wedding ensemble
Burnt-orange chinos – FUCK
Black leather envelope clutch – Trendsetter Handbags, vintage
Navy blue thongs - Havaianas
To be honest, I’m not convinced. I know that the trendy look of the day is skinny chinos and some giant baggy t-shirt, but there is no-way I am ever going to try that look. My closest approximation, as you can see, looks altogether too casual, too relaxed. Frankly, too sloppy.



I think for me, personally, I’m only going to feel comfortable in chinos if they’re paired with a collared shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment