Monday 3 March 2014

Daily Outfit: Lobster obsession


I am a little lobster obsessed. You may have picked up on it by now, but if not, let me share with you my sordid tale of crustacean-fixation.

I'm not really sure where my love of Lobster springs from, given that I didn't actually try lobster until I was in my 20s. To be perfectly frank, I think before I actually fell in love with the taste of lobster, I was in love with the idea of lobster. Growing up, it was always something associated with the trappings of wealth. In the American TV and movies I devoured as a child and teen in rural Australia, anyone who was ridiculously wealthy seemed to have a steady supply of lobster on hand. So, in my young mind, lobster became associated with other status symbols, like caviar, Cuban Cigars, Rolex watches and Ferrari's.



I'm showing my tendency to lust after trappings of wealth in today’s outfit by way of my necktie:

Blue and white striped shirt – Polo Ralph Lauren
Navy silk/polyester necktie with red lobster motif – vintage L.L. Bean
Gold-tone tie bar – gift
Brown leather belt – Sportscraft
Motor 3D tapered embroidered jeans – G-Star
Navy and grey striped socks – Trenery
Brown leather laser-cut shoes – Raphael Steffens



I collect clothing and accessories which reference or blatantly depict lobster now. I have, at present, three ties, three pairs of pants (two of which are women's and do no fit me), a cardigan (again, women's), a huge smock dress, and several of those sew-on patches. I also quite obviously have a lobster tattooed on my right forearm. I won't lie, this is just the beginning, I can see myself dying surrounded by lobster-emblazoned merchandise. However, for now it is relatively harmless, and I am enjoying collecting them.

If you happen to chance upon something in the way of clothing or accessories, which has a lobster or lobsters on it, please give me a yell :)


Xx


No comments:

Post a Comment