Thursday 11 September 2014

Daily Outfit: Boy, Man or Kiddult?

I sometimes feel like I am a boy in men's clothing.

It's not that I feel young, but more that I feel like I look ridiculous in clothes that I have always thought as menswear. A suit, for example, or a shirt and tie. These are garments that are in fact gender and age neutral, but which I have labelled in my mind as men's clothing, and when I wear them I sometimes feel like a little kid playing dress-ups with his dad's clothes. I'm not really an adult, even at twenty-eight years of age, and I feel like a bit of a fraud turning up to work dressed like one.
 
So, I often do the really mature thing of avoiding dressing like an adult by throwing jeans into the mix. Today, for example, I am wearing:

Navy wool stretch travel jacket - Travel Jacket, thrifted
Blue and white geometric check tailored shirt - Euromerican Tailors
Navy polyester necktie with white pin-dots - John & Lois, thrifted
Gold-tone tie clip - gift
Navy, white and blue canvas webbing belt - Sportscraft
Motor embroidered jeans - G-Star
Brown suede loafers with webbing detail - Raphael Steffes 


The funny thing is, this actually makes me feel like less of a huge fraud for not being a 100% capable adult at nearly thirty years of age. 

Like, it is totally fine that I mostly live pay-day to pay-day, and that I stay up until 12:00 AM watching anime when I should be working on my blog or SLEEPING; because I wear jeans with a business shirt! It is ridiculous, frankly. Culturally I am a man, I pay taxes, I have a job and I vote. I do all of these things, and I have the personality of a senior citizen, and yet I somehow still feel like someone is going to tap me on the shoulder and say "I'm sorry young man, but those slacks are for ADULTS!"


No comments:

Post a Comment