Tuesday 3 June 2014

Daily Outfit: Red Lobster

For me, lobsters are synonyms with luxury.

Growing up in the late 80s-early 90s, TV shows and movies, as well as magazines like Vogue Living represented lobster as the food of the rich and famous. In my forming mind, the links to luxury and high society were cemented during these formative years, meaning that by the time I became a young adult, lobster seemed to be some sort of ambrosia that meant you had made it.

If you could afford a lobster dinner, you were someone.

 
These days I have something of an attachment/fixation with lobster, and I still view it as a link to a life of luxury. Only now, not only do I enjoy eating lobster, but I also find ways of introducing it to my daily outfits:


Tailored navy wool blazer – Euromerican Tailors, Hong Kong
Blue and white micro-striped shirt with French cuffs – T.M. Lewin, thrfited
Navy silk and polyester necktie with red lobster motif – vintage L.L. Bean, ebay
Gold-tone and alligator leather cufflinks and tie clip – vintage, etsy
Black leather belt – repurposed from wedding outfit
Blades tapered jeans – G-Star, ebay
Blue leather boots with buckle detail – G-Star

Branding myself with lobsters around my neck might be taking the luxury associations a little far, but to be fair, they do make a striking motif, and it is nice to see this very vintage piece from American company L.L. Bean still holding up nicely.

Furthermore, I have a lobster dinner tattoo on my forearm. So the necktie is a step down from that.



No comments:

Post a Comment