Friday 13 June 2014

Travel: Graffiti Hunting

I have something of a fixation with graffiti. Whatever form it comes in: paste-ups, stencils, spray paint or stickers; I love it all.

If you follow me on Instagram, you've no doubt seen me waxing lyrical about the merits of various bits and pieces of graffiti around Canberra; but my interest really peaked last year when I went to Tokyo and saw the calibre of work being done there. Wherever I go now I have my camera ready to capture the graffiti of that place.

It was miserable and overcast in Tallinn today, and while we went out, I didn't take any outfit posts. As such, here's the first of my graffiti hunting from this trip.


This is the first piece that really caught my attention in Helsinki. It is a little bird with a horses' head in place of it's own, bridled and everything. It reminded me instanly of the myths about the Kelpie or the Puka. My very next thought was that it would make an excellent tattoo. this is a really great paste-up, the quality and precision of the work is amazing!

This stencil piece was found in one of the market squares in Helsinki. I have to admit, I don't really get the message behind it, but I do admire the sentiment (I think), that art can and does happen wherever it wants to.

This spray-painted stencil is clearly referencing the various 'Obey' ad campaigns which are themselves referential to an 80s movie my friend showed me once but the name of which I have since forgotten. I like how bold this is on top of the layers of graffiti below.

I love this beautiful brush that I saw when we were dropped off at our apartment in Tallinn, Estonia. The flowing bristles of the brush are really nicely done, and I love the simplicity of the use of just two colours.

This stencil was found on a parking meter near the Government buildings in Tallinn, and I believe that it is a wasp without wings? I've also seen a grasshopper, and a swarm of cockroaches since arriving in Tallinn, and I assume that it is the same artist. I like the simplicity and the detail of this piece.

This sticker found in the Old Town area of Tallinn on the back of a street sign depicts Colonel Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D of the Marvel universe. I have zero idea what the Cyrillic says, I just like the sticker because I'm a sucker for super heroes and guys who are going grey at the temples.

No comments:

Post a Comment